Falling Ill and Getting Well in the Age of Coronavirus

For a multitude of reasons, the last thing I want to talk about is the coronavirus. But I still feel like I should share my story. A lot of people know me to be a person who absolutely loves Grace and embraces the culture, the atmosphere and the spirit. All of that rings true. I couldn’t have picked out a worse stretch of time for us all to go into quarantine. Due to the virus, I am missing my senior spring (and my 18th birthday), and the seniors aren’t going to get their prom and graduation when they’re supposed to. Also, I no longer have the chance to raise a banner in athletics, which I’ve been trying to do for 8 years, and my best possible chance was this tennis season. It’s so unfortunate, and what’s worse, it’s been lonely and boring.

I wish that I could lighten the mood but I can’t because the coronavirus made its way to my household, infecting me and my parents. In about mid-March, I started getting a little sick with a moderate fever and a dry cough. Although the coronavirus was just starting to spread in New York, it still seemed like a myth to me. I felt like there was no chance I could actually have it. 

However, I first started doubting the idea it could be a random sickness when one morning, I woke up not being able to smell or taste anything. My mom was supposed to bake a cake that morning, and I woke up and asked her if she was making it. My parents glanced at me with an “Are you kidding?” Apparently you could smell the cake throughout the entire house. Over the course of the next day, I lost my sense of taste too. Then, the following day, a new symptom of the virus came out in the news: possibly no smell or taste. That’s when I began to think that I might actually have coronavirus. Fortunately, I was sick for only about 5 days, yet I could not smell or taste for about two weeks. I had a moderate fever and felt okay during the day but during the nights, I really struggled. I would wake up in the middle of the night either too hot or too cold. I am grateful to have only had the sickness for a few days and that I pulled through when so many people have not.

Just as I was getting over my sickness, my dad started to show symptoms. It’s not like we didn’t see it coming: I was sick and he works at Bellevue Hospital. This was odd because until that day, I had never seen my dad stay home from work and struggle with a sickness. He was bed-ridden for about a week and still had a cough for another week or so after that. Thankfully, through all of this, my mom was asymptomatic and helped both of us get through. About 3 days after my dad stopped spending every day in bed, he took a coronavirus test and 9 days later, it came back positive. The test was actually reassuring because our beliefs had been confirmed. We now knew definitely what was making us ill and that gave us peace of mind. My family and I are planning on taking an antibody test next week with the hope that we have all developed the antibodies to keep us safe. I feel like we could use a little good news. 

Corona dropped me, my family, the Grace community, our city, and the whole world into despair and worry, but we will get through it, eventually. Corona sucks. It ruined a lot of good possible memories, but more importantly, it ruined a lot of lives. However, it won’t keep us down. Mayor De Blasio recently announced the parade for medical workers after this is all over. You can catch me riding in a blimp cruising down the filled New York streets with some face paint and a smile. We’re gonna celebrate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *